Likes (Recebidos)
    Avaliação
    1 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Microsoft ceases production of its Windows RT-based Surface tablets

Microsoft Corp. has announced that it had ceased production of its Surface 2 media tablet. The Surface 2 is generally one of the two devices based on Microsoft Windows RT operating system that is available commercially. This week Microsoft sold out the remaining stock of the Surface 2 products and will not produce any more of such devices.
    Both Microsoft Windows RT and Microsoft Surface tablets were failures for the software giant. Customers and hardware makers were reluctant to use the platform because it was not compatible with legacy programs (due to the fact that Win RT relied on ARM processors, not on x86), whereas software developers were not quick enough with modern products that were compatible with Windows RT. Hardware makers did not widely support the OS, even Microsoft’s Nokia division did not promote its Lumia 2520 tablet last year. Although it is unknown whether the Lumia 2520 is still in production, it is obvious that its days are counted.
    While Microsoft Surface 2 and Nokia Lumia 2520 are still available at BestBuy and Verizon in the U.S., Microsoft will no longer produce additional devices, reports PCWorld web-site. Microsoft will continue to support existing Surface RT customers with updates and patches, but, as reported, it will not update its Surface and Surface 2 tablets with Windows 10 operating system.

Even though it is obvious that Windows RT is dead, Microsoft’s next OS – Windows 10 – will also support ARM architecture and therefore hardware makers will be able to build consumer devices featuring system-on-chips from companies like Nvidia, Qualcomm and others.
    “ARM devices will continue to be a crucial part of the range of devices Windows 10 supports, with an optimized experience for ARM-based phones, phablets and small tablets up to 8-inches,” said a spokesman for Microsoft. “Windows 10 is a single OS that spans multiple device form-factors, including tablets. We believe users will be delighted with how the OS will optimize based on the device they are on, whether that is a phone, tablet, PC or beyond.”
    Noticia:
    http://www.kitguru.net/gaming/operat...based-tablets/
    http://www.portugal-tech.pt/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=566&dateline=1384876765

Tech Ubër-Dominus Avatar de Jorge-Vieira
    Registo
    Nov 2013
    Local
    City 17
    Likes (Dados)
    Likes (Recebidos)
    Avaliação
    1 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Windows RT dead

Microsoft pulls RT surface 2
    Software giant Microsoft has taken its Windows RT software to a deserted Berlin forest and offed it with a bullet to the back of the head.

For a while now the only thing that was keeping the failed OS alive was a version of the Surface 2 which used ARM-based processors.
    However, Redmond has decided stop making that flavour of tablet leaving Windows RT without an earthly use.
    It is odd as Windows was once seen as crucial to Microsoft's prospects of breaking into the tablet market.
    It has problems from the start. Although Windows RT had the traditional Windows desktop, third-party manufacturers were barred from developing software for it. Microsoft's own Office applications were the only desktop software ever produced for Windows RT.
    Microsoft also failed to explain the differences between Windows RT and Windows 8 to consumers, with reports of many Windows RT devices being returned to retailers because buyers wrongly assumed the operating system would run regular Windows applications.
    There was limited support for Windows RT, and initial device sales were disappointing. That left Surface tablets as the only new devices still shipping with Windows RT.
    After posting healthy sales of the Surface hardware earlier this week, Microsoft confirmed it would cease manufacture of the Surface 2, effectively turning the lights out on its Windows RT experience.
    Redmond did hint there would be an update to Windows RT at last week's Windows 10 event, it said that it wouldn't get all of the new features being added to Windows 10.
    Noticia:
    http://www.fudzilla.com/news/36858-windows-rt-dead
    http://www.portugal-tech.pt/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=566&dateline=1384876765

Registo
    Nov 2013
    Local
    City 17
    Likes (Dados)
    Likes (Recebidos)
    Avaliação
    1 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Microsoft Surface 2 is no longer being manufactured

We recently discussed the news that stocks of the Surface 2 tablet had run out online in both the US and UK. We mused over whether it had been discontinued. However Microsoft made no statement explaining the lack of stock only that the "Surface 2 is available at Best Buy. Microsoft doesn’t have anything to share beyond that." Now things have become clearer as WinSuperSite has talked to a Microsoft representative who has confirmed that it is no longer manufacturing this Windows RT powered tablet.

The full statement from the Microsoft spokesperson was as follows:
    "We are no longer manufacturing Surface 2; however, those still eager to buy Surface should visit Microsoft Retail Stores, MicrosoftStore.com, third-party retailers and resellers for the latest availability."
    Windows RT users were rather neglected during the recent Windows 10 consumer event. Only after the main event, at Q&A sessions, were some details forthcoming about the OS which runs on ARM-powered hardware. It turns out that Windows RT owners won't be upgraded into becoming Windows 10 users but will instead get "an update for Surface, which will have some of the functionality of Windows 10".
    Interestingly WinSuperSite rounds off its article about the end of Surface 2 production with the assertion that Microsoft is starting to manufacture the Surface Pro 4. The writer believes the successor to the warmly received Surface Pro 3 will be the first device to come pre-installed with Windows 10.
    Noticia:
    http://hexus.net/mobile/news/tablets...-manufactured/

Registo
    Nov 2013
    Local
    City 17
    Likes (Dados)
    Likes (Recebidos)
    Avaliação
    1 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To the great dismay of dozens WinRT finally passes on

Microsoft has quietly smothered the last WinRT device on the market, spelling the end of the ARM powered version of Windows. The non-Pro versions of the Surface attracted sellers with a very low price but then repulsed them with the performance and lack of support for basic applications. The Lumia 2520 was perhaps a better implementation of WinRT but again was not very successful against the competition. The Surface Pro 2 will continue to be produced and sold but its red haired stepchild has been show the door. Microsoft did confirm with The Register that this does not mean the end of Windows on ARM by any means, Win10 will be found on many devices in the coming year including ARM powered ones.

"The software giant confirmed on Wednesday to The Register that it has stopped manufacturing the Nokia Lumia 2520, a 10.1-inch Windows RT tablet with a quad-core ARM processor, an HD display, and 4G LTE wireless connectivity."
    Noticia:
    http://www.pcper.com/news/General-Te...finally-passes

Registo
    Nov 2013
    Local
    City 17
    Likes (Dados)
    Likes (Recebidos)
    Avaliação
    1 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ​Can a Cheap Windows Tablet Replace Your Desktop?

It started as an offhand brag, but turned into a dare. I was telling my Gizmodo colleagues why I loved my Windows 8 tablet: it's fast, it's cheap, it's a fully fledged PC. Hell, I said, I could probably hook it up to a monitor and use it as my workhorse for a week.
    Now I'm doing just that. It's not as bad as you'd think.
    Before we get into this, let me tell you what I'm not talking about: the $800+ Microsoft Surface Pro. That's a fine tablet, but my device of choice is a $300 Dell Venue. The Venue 8 Pro is one of half a dozen cheap slates that punch well above their price tag. In fact, that's exactly why I bought it—Windows 8.1 loads web pages faster than my similarly priced Android tablet ever did. It's a real PC. So this dare is totally going to work out in my favor... right?
    My quest was almost over before it began: the Venue 8 Pro has only one tiny micro USB port, and I quickly learned that it refuses to charge the tablet if you plug literally anything else in. My keyboard, mouse and DisplayLink monitor adapter all forced the tablet to use its battery instead. It doesn't matter how capable the slate's little Intel Atom processor is—if I couldn't get it to last through a work day, I'd lost the dare. So, I did what anyone would do: I asked Google. And Google pointed me to an entire community of people trying to find an answer.

Buried deep within the "Dell Venue 8 Pro Owners Lounge" on the TabletPCReview forums, I found answers: some users had modified their USB hubs to trick the port into accepting both power and data connections. (Others gave up, opting for wireless keyboards and Miracast monitors instead.) And one particularly enterprising group actually designed and Kickstarted a purpose-built hub just to get their tablets to become makeshift desktops.
    I settled on the cheapest, simplest solution possible: a splitter, an old DisplayLink USB hub, and a switch that causes an "accidental" short in the connection to initiate charging (Dell actually makes its own cable for this, too). I have no idea how this bizarre combination of wires actually works, but at the end of the day my tablet had three full-sized USB ports, a monitor and a mouse and keyboard. That I can work with.
    All told, getting the entire thing set up was kind of a pain in the ass, but it worked! My super-sized tablet was more than capable of getting me through the work week. I could juggle half a dozen tabs for research, write posts in Kinja's web-based editor and even edit, resize and watermark photos in Manga Studio 5 (Shush, I use it for drawing on the tablet and was too lazy to install Photoshop). Fantastic.

The little rig even multitasks fairly well—feel like listening to some music? Spotify lurks in the background without a hitch. Want to get social? Alt-Tab into Tweetdeck, not a problem. Microsoft Office, Google Hangouts, Steam and all my other always-on desktop apps ran just fine. But it's not a full replacement for my desktop.
    The longer I used my makeshift workstation, the more I started to notice little flaws. Exceedingly long pages (an endless Twitter stream, for example) gave my otherwise smooth browsing experience some pause, as did opening more than a dozen tabs at a time (What? I'm a busy guy). It wasn't enough to force me to switch to my laptop, but it did make me more aware of the tablet's limitations.

I worked my way through these issues and forgave the setup for the sake of the novelty: people used to talk about "working from their iPad," but I really did work from a tablet. I loved it. The Dell Venue 8 Pro was a $250 toy I bought to draw cartoons and read digital comics—now it's a versatile, portable workstation. It has its issues (and leaves me yearning for the transition features Microsoft promises for Windows 10), but it's a start. Maybe the next generation of small, cheap Windows tablets will be a little more considerate of weirdos (like me) hell-bent on carrying around an 8-inch do-it-all PC. High hopes, I know.

As for that bet? I think I won: it's been a week (longer, actually) and I'm still working from a ridiculous, rigged-up 8-inch tablet, and perfectly happy doing it. On the other hand, I wouldn't recommend the experience to anybody less stubborn or hell-bent on alternative computing than myself—and certainly wouldn't call it a setup ready for the average user. Dell clearly never intended for anybody to use its plucky little tablet this way, and that's a shame.
    At best, it's a sample of what our slates could be capable of in the near future. I genuinely hope that tomorrow's tablets will be built with this kind of modularity in mind. Until then, my jumble of wires, adapters and switches is good enough for me.
    But I'm a stubborn, tinkering madman. Most people should probably just wait.
    Noticia:
    http://gizmodo.com/can-a-cheap-windo...top-1684130353

Registo
    Nov 2013
    Local
    City 17
    Likes (Dados)
    Likes (Recebidos)
    Avaliação
    1 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Microsoft reiterates support for ARM amid reports of Windows RT’s death

Is Windows RT dead? Yes, pretty much, but that might not mean what you think it does. Microsoft confirmed this week that it has stopped manufacturing the Nokia Lumia 2520, which was the last device in production running Windows RT, the version of Windows 8 designed for tablets running power-efficient ARM processors.
    “Windows RT is officially dead,” declares The Verge in its story reporting the 2520’s discontinuation.
    However, in a statement issued to GeekWire, a Microsoft spokesman says this doesn’t mean the company is giving up support for ARM tablets. The spokesman reiterated what Microsoft operating systems chief Terry Myerson said at the Windows 10 consumer preview last month.
    “As Terry Myerson shared on stage on January 21, Microsoft is working on an update for Windows RT, and will have more to share later,” the spokesman said. “ARM devices will continue to be a crucial part of the range of devices Windows 10 supports, with an optimized experience for ARM-based phones, phablets and small tablets up to 8 inches.”
    That reflects Microsoft’s attempt to broaden the reach of Windows as part of the upcoming Windows 10 release, with a unified app platform across devices.
    Noticia:
    http://www.geekwire.com/2015/microso...ows-rts-death/

Registo
    Nov 2013
    Local
    City 17
    Likes (Dados)
    Likes (Recebidos)
    Avaliação
    1 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Microsoft Reportedly Developing Intel Core M-Based Windows 10 Tablet To Replace Surface 2

Microsoft’s Surface 2 Windows RT tablet was unceremoniously put to death earlier this year. The demise of the Surface 2 wasn’t a shock to industry watchers; various OEMs provided more compelling tablet solutions running x86 processors that were able to access the vast Windows software library (the Windows RT-based, ARM-powered Surface 2 was shutout from traditional Windows applications).

According to a new report from Winbeta, Microsoft won’t make that same mistake again when it launches a new tablet to slot under the Surface Pro 3 (or the inevitable Surface Pro 4). The fanless tablet is said to feature an x86 processor; either an Intel Atom or Intel Core M is said to be in the works to power the device. This also means that the tablet will be able to run a full-blown version of Windows.
    Unlike the professional-oriented Surface Pro 3, the new tablet will be marketed more towards general consumers and will be priced to match. That also means that you probably won’t see the fancy stylus that comes with the Surface Pro 3, although we do hope that the kickstand carries over as in previous iterations.
    Winbeta says that the device will come pre-loaded with Windows 8.1 but will upgradable to the forthcoming Windows 10 operating system. The news site also says that Microsoft’s official announcement for the tablet will come on or before the BUILD conference that starts April 29.

Noticia:
    http://hothardware.com/news/microsof...Twg7SJy5QTH.99

Registo
    Nov 2013
    Local
    City 17
    Likes (Dados)
    Likes (Recebidos)
    Avaliação
    1 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Microsoft Entices Surface RT Owners With $150 Trade-In Offer For A New Surface 3

Microsoft's Surface 3, released in late March, is one hot product. It could even be a possible iPad killer. With its true x86 processor, it's not much of a stretch to believe that owners of the original Surface RT are drooling over the upgrade, and Microsoft seems to realize that as well.

If you're in that boat, how does a $150 trade-in offer sound? With its lowest-end Surface 3, that'd make an upgrade cost $350 rather than $500. That's actually a very tempting offer.
    image: http://hothardware.com/ContentImages...face_Pro_3.jpg
    In order to quality for the full $150, your Surface RT will have to have its original accessories and also be in good shape. Unfortunately, the entire process of the trade-in isn't so straight-forward: you'll need to ship the unit to Microsoft for inspection, and once done, it will email you a promo code to use online. This isn't going to be the speediest of processes, but it could be a worthwhile one.
    At the time of writing, the big green button at the URL below which is supposed to bring you to the trade-in site doesn't work; it results in a 403 "forbidden" error. Perhaps Microsoft launched the deal a bit too early? It's hard to say, but it's likely that the site will be functional again later, so keep checking back.

Noticia:
    http://hothardware.com/news/microsof...dlI2kMEbj8Y.99

Registo
    Nov 2013
    Local
    City 17
    Likes (Dados)
    Likes (Recebidos)
    Avaliação
    1 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Windows RT will be updated around the launch of Windows 10

In what may come as a surprise to many people, Microsoft will be updating Windows RT around the launch of Windows 10, according to the Windows 10 FAQ Microsoft first published a couple of weeks ago.
    Microsoft isn't saying anything about what this Windows RT update will include, aside from the fact there will be an update. The company already has stated that Windows RT devices will not be updated to Windows 10, so this new update will likely involve just minor changes to ensure the OS remains usable and compatible.
    This update that Microsoft will be delivering to Windows RT devices could be the last update they ever receive. It has been clear for a long time that Windows RT is a dead operating system with no future, as Microsoft looks to consolidate their range of operating systems into one version for x86 devices (Windows 10) and one for ARM devices (Windows 10 Mobile).
    Even when Windows RT existed as a platform for ARM-based tablets, it was never successful. Currently there are only seven Windows RT devices in the wild, and none of them (including the Microsoft Surface RT, Surface 2 and the Nokia Lumia 2520) sold in any significant quantity. All Windows RT devices are now discontinued.
    With Windows 10 set to launch on July 29th, it shouldn't be long before Microsoft reveals what this Windows RT update involves.
    Noticia:
    http://www.techspot.com/news/61172-w...indows-10.html

Registo
    Nov 2013
    Local
    City 17
    Likes (Dados)
    Likes (Recebidos)
    Avaliação
    1 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Windows RT's final update will reportedly only include the Start menu

Last month it was revealed that Windows RT will receive one last update following the launch of Windows 10. That update, known as Windows 8.1 RT Update 3, will reportedly only include one major new feature: the Start menu.
    According to a report from WinBeta, a version of the Start menu similar to Windows 10's will be included in this Windows RT update. Users will be able to choose between the new Start menu or the existing Start screen depending on their usage patterns, as is the case with Windows 10.
    However, the version of the Start menu that will be included in this Windows RT update won't be the same as the version seen in full Windows 10. WinBeta says this is because the latest version of Windows 10's Start menu is built using XAML and utilizes some of Windows 10's new and exclusive APIs. Instead, Microsoft will use a DirectUI version of the Start menu that the company used in earlier Windows 10 Preview builds.
    The Start menu will reportedly be the only feature included with Windows 8.1 RT Update 3. Running Modern UI apps in windows will not be supported in the update, and neither will Microsoft's new Continuum Tablet Mode or the Universal App Platform. This is because, once again, these new features require Windows 10 specific APIs that won't be ported to Windows RT.
    WinBeta's sources claim that this Windows RT update was originally scheduled for launch on July 29th, although it has been postponed to an unknown date. Luckily Windows RT never saw widespread usage to begin with, so there won't be many people affected by Microsoft's choice to delay the update's release.
    Noticia:
    http://www.techspot.com/news/61435-w...ude-start.html

Tech Mestre
    Registo
    Feb 2013
    Likes (Dados)
    Likes (Recebidos)
    Avaliação
    3 (100%)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Boa noite,

Microsoft fatura cada vez mais com a linha Surface, agora a superar os 800 milhões por trimestre.

Surface PCs are crown jewel in latest earnings report from Microsoft

With the release today of Microsoft's Quarter 4 Earnings for Fiscal Year 2015, it's clear that surface is now one of the crown jewels of the company. Under the leadership of Panos Panay, the product line got off to a shaky start with the Surface RT but several iterations later, it rebounded with the Surface Pro 3 and more recently the Surface 3. Satya Nadella is certainly happy saying:
    Our approach to investing in areas where we have differentiation and opportunity is paying off with Surface, Xbox, Bing, Office 365, Azure and Dynamics CRM Online all growing by at least double-digits
    Microsoft indicates in the report that Surface revenue has grown 117 percent to $888 million. The report also states that Surface was one of the divisions to offset the decreased revenue of Windows phone hardware. Surface revenue for full year 2015 was $3.6 Billion, up 65 percent from the previous year.

With such impressive figures, the future looks extremely good for Surface especially considering Microsoft is about to expand the Surface reseller circle from over 150 to more than 4,500 globally in the next few months. Add to that the rumors that there will be a Surface Pro 4, the new AT&T LTE enabled Surface 3 and things are looking very positive indeed.

Link - http://www.winbeta.org/news/surface-...port-microsoft
    Parece mesmo que esta é uma aposta ganha por parte da Microsoft. Cada vez vende mais e cada vez faz mais dinheiro. Em contraste com as vendas do iPad que cada vez caem mais, este pode ser um sinal de mudanças no mercado. A projeção é que a linha Surface fature perto de 4 biliões de dólares este ano, o que faz deste negócio uma das novas jóias da coroa da Microsoft. No fundo, a empresa está a substituir umas joias por outras, mas continua a ter joias e não precisa minimamente de temer pelo futuro.

Uma das coisas que faz uma empresa ser grande não é apenas a capacidade de criar grandes produtos e de os ter a render bastante tempo. É também ter a capacidade de se reinventar e saber quando um produto está em fim de linha em termos de rentabilidade financeira e saber onde apostar a seguir para substituir a rentabilidade que está a perder nesse produto que está em declínio.

Se dúvidas havia que a linha Surface ia ser um sucesso os números estão aí. Se antes fazia 1 bilião por ano, agora faz 1 bilião por trimestre. Já é quatro vezes mais. E não parece que vá ficar por aqui. Diga-se de passagem, a Microsoft tem na linha Surface uma linha premium e de excelente qualidade de construção, qualquer empresa do ramo se iria orgulhar de ter tal negócio do seu lado. Nunca duvidei do poder da Microsoft para construir hardware de excelente qualidade e a prova está aí. É rainha do software e quando quer também o é do hardware. A linha Lumia tem no Lumia 640 o ultimo exemplar de um dispositivo de grande qualidade, logo por exemplo. A Xbox One prima ela também pela qualidade de construção, o design, etc (tem por exemplo um excelente sistema de refrigeração, depois da barraca que aconteceu com a 360 é uma excelente resposta). A Microsoft aprendeu definitivamente com a concorrência em design (Apple).

Cumprimentos.
    Última edição de Dape_1904 : 21-07-15 às 23:41

Registo
    Nov 2013
    Local
    City 17
    Likes (Dados)
    Likes (Recebidos)
    Avaliação
    1 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Citação Post Original de Turtolius Ver Post
    Boa noite,

A Xbox One prima ela também pela qualidade de construção, o design, etc (tem por exemplo um excelente sistema de refrigeração, depois da barraca que aconteceu com a 360 é uma excelente resposta). A Microsoft aprendeu definitivamente com a concorrência em design (Apple).

Cumprimentos.
    Bom dia

Cumprimentos

Tech Membro Avatar de Sardo
    Registo
    Oct 2013
    Local
    Aveiro
    Likes (Dados)
    Likes (Recebidos)
    Avaliação
    1 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Se ao menos o consumidor soubesses isso, a Xbox One não estaria a ser por esta altura um fiasco de vendas.

Tech Mestre
    Registo
    Feb 2013
    Likes (Dados)
    Likes (Recebidos)
    Avaliação
    3 (100%)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Boa tarde,

A Xbox One em termos de qualidade de construção não tem problema algum. Vende menos que a concorrente mas mesmo assim vende bastante. Não é nenhum falhanço comercial. Mas há quem só veja uma coisa, quem vende mais.

Cumprimentos.

Tech Veterano Avatar de JayDz
    Registo
    Mar 2013
    Local
    Rua do "Rijo"
    Likes (Dados)
    Likes (Recebidos)
    Avaliação
    1 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Citação Post Original de Turtolius Ver Post
    Boa tarde,

A Xbox One em termos de qualidade de construção não tem problema algum. Vende menos que a concorrente mas mesmo assim vende bastante. Não é nenhum falhanço comercial. Mas há quem só veja uma coisa, quem vende mais.

Cumprimentos.
    A qualidade de construção é o que faz correr os jogos ? Não, por isso tem problema sim senhora.

Acredita que comparado com a PS4 a X1 não vende nadinha mesmo.

Página 2 de 3 PrimeiroPrimeiro 123 ÚltimoÚltimo

Informação da Thread