Likes (Dados)
    Likes (Recebidos)
    Avaliação
    4 (100%)
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A nVidia desde sempre que foi uma grande apoiante do OpenGL. As suas drivers para esta API sempre foram muito acima de qualquer outra empresa, especialmente da ATI/AMD.
    Será de esperar que a nVidia continue a apoiar o OpenGL, mesmo com o nome de Vulkan.
    Para além disso, o OpenGL está numa posição excelente para unificar os sistemas de jogos. Com os dispositivos moveis a serem cada vez mas parte do universo de jogos, a possibilidade de usar uma API para vários dispositivos pode significar a poupança de muito dinheiro. Com vários dispositivos moveis a ultrapassar em breve o poder das consolas, será de esperar ver muitos títulos a fazerem a transição de uma plataforma para outras.
    Ryzen R5 3700X / Noctua NH-D15 / B550 AORUS ELITE V2 / Cooler Master H500 Mesh / 16Gb DDR4 @ 3800mhz CL16 / Gigabyte RTX 2070 Super / Seasonic Focus GX 750W / Sabrent Q Rocket 2 TB / Crucial MX300 500Gb + Samsung 250Evo 500Gb / Edifier R1700BT

Tech Membro Avatar de MAXLD
    Registo
    Mar 2013
    Local
    C.Branco
    Likes (Dados)
    Likes (Recebidos)
    Avaliação
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Por Joshua Barczak
    @JoshuaBarczak
    Lead Graphics Engineer, Civilization.

OpenGL Has Erupted

A while ago I said that OpenGL was broken. Reactions were mixed. Some people loved it. Others flamed it. I received dirty looks from OpenGL folks who were justifiably upset. In an ironic coincidence, Apple’s Metal API was announced just a few days later.

Now that Vulkan has been presented, I feel obliged to write a post-script. Vulkan has shown that I was not alone in my assessment, and it is the best result I could have hoped for. It has addressed every issue I raised, and a few that I didn’t. It is forward-looking, ambitious, unprecedented, and should be a source of immense pride and satisfaction for all involved.

As a result of unfortunate historical events, the “OpenGL establishment” has a certain reputation for being obstinant and ineffective. They have been seen as reluctant followers and not as leaders. After Vulkan it should be obvious to everyone that this reputation is undeserved. Many of the folks behind Vulkan have spent their entire careers shepherding OpenGL, and they have had a very frustrating time of it. Half of the world complains about its problems, and the other half whines about the solutions. I want to conclude by tipping my hat to these people. They have my gratitude and my respect. They’ve earned it.

I also want to salute whoever came up with this brilliant name. It is loaded with apt symbolism. The cracks in OpenGL’s crust have given way. Molten Mantle has produced a Volcano where Long’s Peak once loomed, and once it cools, it will change the landscape.
    in http://www.joshbarczak.com/blog/?p=634

Registo
    Mar 2013
    Local
    C.Branco
    Likes (Dados)
    Likes (Recebidos)
    Avaliação
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    PS4 Should Support Vulkan, PS4’s API Not Completely Native For Current Gen Yet: Brad Wardell
    Brad Wardell on how Vulkan can probably make easier for developers to make games on PS4.

Earlier this year, Brad Wardell stated that just like DirectX 12 on Xbox One, PlayStation 4 fans will also have something to look forward to. At that time, he did not revealed what exactly it was, but in an exclusive interview with GamingBolt’s Kurtis Simpson he revealed that he was referring to Vulkan. For those of you who are not aware about what Vulkan is, it’s a low level API derived from AMD’s Mantle and is platform agnostic. Under development at Khronos Group, the new API provides more control over the GPU and reduces CPU overhead.
    According to Wardell, Sony’s current API is much low level compared to Mantle and even Vulkan but they should look into adding Vulkan support for the console as it will reduce a lot of developer overhead for cross platform development.

“What I was referencing at the time was Vulkan. We’re part of the Khronos Group and now it depends who you talk to at Sony and this gets in to a debate. Sony has a very low-level API already for the PlayStation 4. The problem I have with it is that if you want to make use for it you’re writing some very specific code just for the PlayStation 4. And in the real world people don’t do that right. I write code generally to be as cross-platform as I can.”

“Now maybe in Unity or Unreal, one of the other guys will write their engines in such a way so that they make the most use of it, but that’s going to take time. Whereas if they use something like Vulkan, it’s not as low-level as their API, but Vulkan has the advantage that it’s really easy to write for it. So you’re more likely to get developers to code to that and get more games on to Sony then you would otherwise.”

With Microsoft launching DirectX 12 for the Xbox One, is there is a chance that Sony might actually completely support Mantle going forward? Wardell disagrees.

“No, because their low-level API is still lower level than Mantle and Vulkan. So what I’m hoping is that they will support Vulkan.”
    “Let’s say I write a game for the Steam Box and the PlayStation 4 supports Vulkan, the Steam Box supports Vulkan. It wouldn’t be that much more work for me to have my game work on the PlayStation 4. Whereas right now if I want to develop the game for the
    PlayStation 4, I have to learn their special custom API, that has shader languages that are different than what I’m used to, and I’m pretty sure that I have to send stuff in text instead of binary form.”

“I hate OpenGL (laughs). They’re old, their current one is just archaic. I don’t want to have to learn that, my brain is already full of OS2 and Linux crap, I don’t want to learn yet another short-term API. If I can just learn Vulkan then I can get to a lot of platforms, I don’t want to have to learn Sony’s special API, even if I would gain a few frames-per-second in doing so.”

He also revealed to GamingBolt that the current API for the PS4 isn’t completely native yet and that it has been updated from last gen. Regardless, we are not seeing the full potential of either consoles.

“With the PlayStation 4 and the Xbox One they’re not even remotely scratching the surface for what people can do and there’s still…I mean on the PlayStation 4 and their low-level API, they’re all still very…they’re like written for last-gen but updated for this gen. I wouldn’t say they’re completely native yet, I mean they are native but you know these words all get misused, but this gen’s graphics are still very far behind where they’re going to be.”
    Stay tuned for more coverage from our interview with Brad Wardell for more stuff including new information on Ashes of Singularity, more on Vulkan and Mantle in the coming days.
    http://gamingbolt.com

Registo
    Mar 2013
    Local
    C.Branco
    Likes (Dados)
    Likes (Recebidos)
    Avaliação
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Red Hat Joins Khronos Group

With a brief blog post, Red Hat has announced that they are now members of the Khronos Group. Red Hat, one of the largest vendors of Linux software and services, would like to influence the direction of OpenGL and the upcoming Vulkan API. Also, apart from Valve, they are one of the only Linux vendors that contributes to the Khronos Group as an organization. I hope that their input counter-balances Apple, Google, and Microsoft, who are each members, in areas that are beneficial to the open-source operating system.

As for now, Red Hat intends to use their membership to propose OpenGL extensions as well as influence Vulkan as previously mentioned. It also seems reasonable that they would push for extensions to Vulkan, which the Khronos Group mentioned would support extensions at GDC, especially if something that they need fails to reach “core” status. While this feels late, I am glad that they at least joined now.

Source: Red Hat
    in http://www.pcper.com/news/General-Te...medium=twitter

Nice, mais um a juntar-se da vertente Linux!

Tech Ubër-Dominus Avatar de Jorge-Vieira
    Registo
    Nov 2013
    Local
    City 17
    Likes (Dados)
    Likes (Recebidos)
    Avaliação
    1 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Khronos Group at SIGGRAPH 2015

When the Khronos Group announced Vulkan at GDC, they mentioned that the API is coming this year, and that this date is intended to under promise and over deliver. Recently, fans were hoping that it would be published at SIGGRAPH, which officially begun yesterday. Unfortunately, Vulkan has not released. It does hold a significant chunk of the news, however. Also, it's not like DirectX 12 is holding a commanding lead at the moment. The headers were public only for a few months, and the code samples are less than two weeks old.

The organization made announcements for six products today: OpenGL, OpenGL ES, OpenGL SC, OpenCL, SPIR, and, as mentioned, Vulkan. They wanted to make their commitment clear, to all of their standards. Vulkan is urgent, but some developers will still want the framework of OpenGL. Bind what you need to the context, then issue a draw and, if you do it wrong, the driver will often clean up the mess for you anyway. The briefing was structure to be evident that it is still in their mind, which is likely why they made sure three OpenGL logos greeted me in their slide deck as early as possible. They are also taking and closely examining feedback about who wants to use Vulkan or OpenGL, and why.
    As for Vulkan, confirmed platforms have been announced. Vendors have committed to drivers on Windows 7, 8, 10, Linux, including Steam OS, and Tizen (OSX and iOS are absent, though). Beyond all of that, Google will accept Vulkan on Android. This is a big deal, as Google, despite its open nature, has been avoiding several Khronos Group standards. For instance, Nexus phones and tablets do not have OpenCL drivers, although Google isn't stopping third parties from rolling it into their devices, like Samsung and NVIDIA. Direct support of Vulkan should help cross-platform development as well as, and more importantly, target the multi-core, relatively slow threaded processors of those devices. This could even be of significant use for web browsers, especially in sites with a lot of simple 2D effects. Google is also contributing support from their drawElements Quality Program (dEQP), which is a conformance test suite that they bought back in 2014. They are going to expand it to Vulkan, so that developers will have more consistency between devices -- a big win for Android.

While we're not done with Vulkan, one of the biggest announcements is OpenGL ES 3.2 and it fits here nicely. At around the time that OpenGL ES 3.1 brought Compute Shaders to the embedded platform, Google launched the Android Extension Pack (AEP). This absorbed OpenGL ES 3.1 and added Tessellation, Geometry Shaders, and ASTC texture compression to it. It was also more tension between Google and cross-platform developers, feeling like Google was trying to pull its developers away from Khronos Group. Today, OpenGL ES 3.2 was announced and includes each of the AEP features, plus a few more (like “enhanced” blending). Better yet, Google will support it directly.
    Next up are the desktop standards, before we finish with a resurrected embedded standard.
    OpenGL has a few new extensions added. One interesting one is the ability to assign locations to multi-samples within a pixel. There is a whole list of sub-pixel layouts, such as rotated grid and Poisson disc. Apparently this extension allows developers to choose it, as certain algorithms work better or worse for certain geometries and structures. There were probably vendor-specific extensions for a while, but now it's a ratified one. Another extension allows “streamlined sparse textures”, which helps manage data where the number of unpopulated entries outweighs the number of populated ones.
    OpenCL 2.0 was given a refresh, too. It contains a few bug fixes and clarifications that will help it be adopted. C++ headers were also released, although I cannot comment much on it. I do not know the state that OpenCL 2.0 was in before now.
    And this is when we make our way back to Vulkan.

SPIR-V, the code that runs on the GPU (or other offloading device, including the other cores of a CPU) in OpenCL and Vulkan is seeing a lot of community support. Projects are under way to allow developers to write GPU code in several interesting languages: Python, .NET (C#), Rust, Haskell, and many more. The slide lists nine that Khronos Group knows about, but those four are pretty interesting. Again, this is saying that you can write code in the aforementioned languages and have it run directly on a GPU. Curiously missing is HLSL, and the President of Khronos Group agreed that it would be a useful language. The ability to cross-compile HLSL into SPIR-V means that shader code written for DirectX 9, 10, 11, and 12 could be compiled for Vulkan. He expects that it won't take long for a project to start, and might already be happening somewhere outside his Google abilities. Regardless, those who are afraid to program in the C-like GLSL and HLSL shading languages might find C# and Python to be a bit more their speed, and they seem to be happening through SPIR-V.
    As mentioned, we'll end on something completely different.

For several years, the OpenGL SC has been on hiatus. This group defines standards for graphics (and soon GPU compute) in “safety critical” applications. For the longest time, this meant aircraft. The dozens of planes (which I assume meant dozens of models of planes) that adopted this technology were fine with a fixed-function pipeline. It has been about ten years since OpenGL SC 1.0 launched, which was based on OpenGL ES 1.0. SC 2.0 is planned to launch in 2016, which will be based on the much more modern OpenGL ES 2 and ES 3 APIs that allow pixel and vertex shaders. The Khronos Group is asking for participation to direct SC 2.0, as well as a future graphics and compute API that is potentially based on Vulkan.
    The devices that this platform intends to target are: aircraft (again), automobiles, drones, and robots. There are a lot of ways that GPUs can help these devices, but they need a good API to certify against. It needs to withstand more than an Ouya, because crashes could be much more literal.
    Noticia:
    http://www.pcper.com/news/Graphics-C...-SIGGRAPH-2015

Parece-me que o Vulkan tarda em sair...
    http://www.portugal-tech.pt/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=566&dateline=1384876765

Registo
    Nov 2013
    Local
    City 17
    Likes (Dados)
    Likes (Recebidos)
    Avaliação
    1 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Android Vulkan: The Tool That Will Unleash The GFX And CPU Power Of Handsets

3D rendering was not the most optimized element present on Android handsets. However, all that is all about to change thanks to Android developers getting their hands on Android Vulkan. Android Vulkan is an API made strictly for Android and in short, it will give your Android applications the much needed performance, especially if you are in possession of a mid-ranged handset.

Android Vulkan Will Give More Breathing Room To Smartphone Processors By Switching All GPU Related Tasks To The GPU Itself

Slashgear reported that Google has been pushing to make its Android platform to become far more optimized than ever before, especially when the case of 3D rendering is involved. More specifically, it has to do with the creation of real world objects. With Android Vulkan, developers will now be able to switch graphics workload to the graphics processor, where it should have belonged there in the first place. What happened previously was that the load was handled by both the CPU and GPU, which would effectively reduce the breathing room of the processor, resulting in sluggish performance.

Android Vulkan is an open standard for 3D graphics and rendering, all made for the Khronos environment. In short, the developer will have more control of the GPU that is going to be utilized by the mobile app. While all this sounds a bit too technical, the end result is that mobile gaming applications are about to receive one of the biggest performance gains.
    However, Android Vulkan will not affect just gaming applications, but the interface that is responsible for the rendering process will also become much faster, leading to a more optimized handset. This news should be taken as a welcoming one, particularly for those who yearn for more performance out of their mobile devices that possess mid-ranged hardware specifications. Google has not mentioned details as to when Android Vulkan will be made available to developers, but we can say for certain that this is going to happen before 2015 ends.

http://www.portugal-tech.pt/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=566&dateline=1384876765

Registo
    Nov 2013
    Local
    City 17
    Likes (Dados)
    Likes (Recebidos)
    Avaliação
    1 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    PowerVR Vulkan demo delivers lots of gnomes per second

Imagination Technologies has made a demo showcasing Vulkan's performance on one of its GPUs, alongside a blog post with all of the details . The demo compares Vulkan's performance to OpenGL ES in the same gnome-filled scene, and it's quite impressive. See the video for yourself:

Yep, that's a lotta gnomes per second. The Gnome Horde demo is running on an Intel-based Nexus Player set-top box, which packs a 1.8Ghz quad-core Atom along with a PowerVR G6430 GPU. The box ran the demo using the latest Vulkan prototype driver. Impressive performance aside, the company emphasizes that this scenario is meant to bring out the best in Vulkan, aiming to be as GPU-limited as possible. It also warns that it's using OpenGL ES "in a way that it was not designed for."
    If you follow the graphs along the bottom left corner of the video on the Vulkan side, CPU load is pretty evenly distributed evenly across all cores, and that's no mistake: Imagination Technologies says Vulkan is much better at multi-threading than OpenGL ES. CPU usage also remains minimal in the parts of the demo with slow pans, where framerates appear steady and smooth. Once the camera goes into full-blown insanity mode, though, the OpenGL ES version nearly stops dead, while Vulkan continues to run smoothly.
    There is one hitch here: the company points out that taking advantage of Vulkan requires more complex code, but the results look to be well worth it.
    Noticia:
    http://techreport.com/news/28791/pow...mes-per-second

Um bom video que mostra as potencialidades da API low level como é o Vulkan.

Registo
    Nov 2013
    Local
    City 17
    Likes (Dados)
    Likes (Recebidos)
    Avaliação
    1 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Khronos Group’s ‘Vulkan’ API, Performance Numbers Revealed – Prototype Build Show 89% Increase Over OpenGL in Intel StarDust 1.1 Benchmark

One of the most promising APIs in development right now is the Vulkan API. Not only does it have all the low level capabilities that are part and parcel of today’s modern demand, but it is fully open source as well. The code is based mostly on the pioneering Mantle API and work is being done on it by the Khronos group to make it a worthy successor to OpenGL. Today, we have some benchmarks to share with you (via MyDrivers); these compare the OpenGL API with the Vulkan API, and as expected, the results do not disappoint.

Vulkan shows an 89% increase in frames per second over OpenGL in Stardust benchmark

The story of Vulkan starts with Mantle API. Mantle as we knew it, is no more. However, the API still exists and the partially developed ecosystem does as well. To put it bluntly Mantle API has split into two offshoots: the Vulkan API, champion of the open world and Mantle API as it is now, a relatively proprietary system that AMD will use inhouse and will only appear in select use cases (eg: LiquidVR). Vulkan aims to be bigger and better than what it once was. It is the only API that supports every single platform in existence. As such, a lot is riding on it and interest from key players is quite high. Google also plans to deploy and promote it as the API of choice of next generation Android games. Without any further ado, given below are the benchmarks:

In this case, we are looking at a constrained TDP scenario. This means that there is a given thermal-power envelop and the CPU/GPU combo has to utilize the same resources and attempt to maximize their output. Naturally, if the CPU consumes a lot of the allowed TDP, the GPU wont be able to perform as well and the frames per second will suffer. In the screen with the Vulkan Prototype watermark you can see in the graphs where we transition from the Open GL API to Vulkan’s prototype build. What we see is that frames per second nearly double, what happens behind the scenes is: the load on the CPU decreases drastically due to more autonomy being granted to the GPU, consequently, its power draw also decreases. The extra available power is then used up by the GPU to push out more frames.

Basically, this is an example of pure optimization that Vulkan is capable of. Now it goes without saying that as you move higher up the food chain to enthusiast class desktops, the performance jump will diminish. OpenGL was an API that was originally designed for graphic work stations that will be working with direct renders. What that means is that it was not originally intended to power mainstream gaming platforms or the mobile platform. Another major problem, which any developer will attest to, is the fact that the documentation is now so huge (to the point of being cumbersome) that it frankly scares away most new entrants.
    Vulkan API on the other hand, was designed from the ground up, to not only provide to the metal access to the GPU but also keep all the mainstreams platforms in mind. Since it’s based on Mantle, and is redesigned from scratch, the documentation should be pretty clean at this point. Another big advantage over OpenGL that it possesses is a multi-core friendly architecture. Where OpenGL didn’t allow generation of graphic commands in parallel to command execution, Vulkan happily allows multiple command buffers in parallel. Basically, in CPU with 8 threads, previously what happened was a sort of haphazard attempt at queuing with little to no dispersion over the threads.
    With Vulkan, 5 threads out of the 6 will be running Command Buffers in parallel and 1 will act as the submission thread or command queue, passing the work onto the GPU. In laymen terms, that means that Vulkan can more efficiently and effectively utilize multi core processors – which let’s face it, is almost every mainstream processor out there. This prototype of Vulkan is looking pretty damn amazing, and it should be nothing less than a revolutionary update for the mobile platforms at the very least. We are talking about quite a few years of performance improvement delivered by a single API update.

Registo
    Nov 2013
    Local
    City 17
    Likes (Dados)
    Likes (Recebidos)
    Avaliação
    1 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vulkan API Almost 50% Faster Than OpenGL

Intel showcased the benefits of the Vulkan API during SIGGRAPH 2015 and exemplified its viability as a mainstream alternative to OpenGL. The Stardust graphics demonstration was conducted on an Intel PC with a fairly modest quad-core processor to gauge typical performance gains. The OpenGL benchmarks signified a complete lack of multi-threaded optimization and only fully utilized 1 core. The other 3 cores were virtually dormant and showed how OpenGL heavily relies on single threaded performance. Subsequently, this resulted with a final benchmark figure of 25fps.
    In direct contrast to this, the Vulkan API provided a more consistent workload and spread the processing power across 4 cores. This improved the framerate by almost 50% and hovered around 50fps. Additionally, the CPU power consumption was exponentially reduced. To work out the exact figure, the benchmark featured an fps lock and compared each API at identical performance numbers. Unbelievably, Vulkan’s CPU power demands hit a maximum wattage at almost half the figure of OpenGL.
    Other benefits surrounding Vulkan include an open ethos allowing it to run to any operating system such as Ubuntu, SteamOS, Windows XP and Android. Additionally, the API is designed to work across a wide array of devices from mobiles to gaming PCs. This makes it extremely flexible and should scale quite well across various software packages. Also, the API is backed by industry behemoths and has a bright future ahead.
    At this time, Vulkan is rather impressive and could be the future API of direct 3D graphics. I highly recommend checking out the video footage below which shows Vulkan in all its glory.

Noticia:
    http://www.eteknix.com/vulkan-api-al...r-than-opengl/

Cá fica o video da noticia postada anteriormente, onde se nota os ganhos que o Vulkan pode trazer.
    Existe aqui uma alternativa viável ao DX12, vamos a ver se o Vulkan traça o seu caminho e se torna mesmo uma alternativa e os programadores decidem apostar nisto ou se acaba por ser mais uma API que apenas vai vingar nos dispositivos móveis, dado todo o interesse e monopolio que existe em volta do DX12.

Registo
    Nov 2013
    Local
    City 17
    Likes (Dados)
    Likes (Recebidos)
    Avaliação
    1 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Basemark GPU Vulkan Announced for Q2'16 Release

The Vulkan API, announced during the Game Developers Conference last March, is a low-level method to communicate with GPUs. It is essentially a fork of AMD's Mantle, which was modified to include things like OpenCL's SPIR bytecode for its shading and compute language, rather than DirectX and Mantle's HLSL (or OpenGL's GLSL). At the time, Khronos mentioned that Vulkan is expected to be released in 2015, and that they intend to “under promise and over deliver” on that schedule. Being November, I expect that something came up, which isn't too surprising as Microsoft seems to have similar issues with DirectX 12.

That said, Basemark has just announced that they will have (at least one?) Vulkan-compatible benchmark available in Q2 2016. It is unclear whether they mean calendar year or some arbitrary fiscal year. Basemark GPU Vulkan is planned to focus on “relevant Vulkan API performance tests as opposed to theoretical workloads”. This sounds like more than a high-draw, low detail technical demo, which is an interesting metric, but one that will probably be covered elsewhere (like the competing 3DMark from Futuremark).
    Hopefully the roll-out, for developers at the very least, will occur this year, though.
    Noticia:
    http://www.pcper.com/news/Graphics-C...d-Q216-Release

Registo
    Nov 2013
    Local
    City 17
    Likes (Dados)
    Likes (Recebidos)
    Avaliação
    1 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Release of Next Generation, Vulkan API is Imminent – Khronos Group Confirms, API Getting Final Polishes

Khronos Group has issued a press release today, stating that their Vulkan API (Version 1.0) will be getting a release very soon. The press release comes just at the year’s end as Khronos Group also confirms that they couldn’t meet the target release date for Vulkan API but they are on a home stretch and the release of their next generation Vulkan API is imminent.
    Khronos Group’s Vulkan API Release is Imminent – Multi-OS API To Tackle DirectX 12

The Vulkan API can be seen as the successor to AMD’s Mantle API as it is built on the same DNA. The Vulkan API pushes for reduce API overhead and optimized multi-core and multi-threaded performance. The API is going to be the direct competitor to Microsoft’s DirectX 12 API which is also going to see wide-scale usage in 2016. DX12 unlike Vulkan, is restricted to just Microsoft’s Windows OS.
    Vulkan on the other hand can work on multiple OS which range from Windows (XP/Vista/7/8/8.1/10), Linux, SteamOS, Android. Also unlike Mantle, Vulkan will be able to run multiple GPUs from various vendors allowing a more wider support than any previous API. Another leverage over previous APIs is that Vulkan adopts the first open standard cross-API intermediate language for parallel compute and graphics known as SPIR-V, allowing developers to write programs for Vulkan in their own choice of programming language. Following is the press release issued by Khronos Group:
    We have some good news and some bad news. The year-end target release date for Vulkan will not be met. However, we are in the home stretch and the release of Vulkan 1.0 is imminent!
    Here is a more detailed update…
    The specification is complete and undergoing legal review and final polishing. The conformance tests are being finalized and multiple member companies are preparing drivers for release. Implementation feedback is the vital final stage of making any Khronos specification ready for primetime, and the Vulkan 1.0 specification will be published when the first conformant implementations are confirmed.
    Work is also progressing to complete Vulkan SDKs for Windows, Android and Linux. Google has upgraded to Promoter membership and is now on the Khronos Board to help steer Vulkan strategy for Android and the wider industry.
    There is considerable energy driving the work to bring you Vulkan. We are planning sessions and demos at key industry events throughout the year. We are excited about the emerging Vulkan ecosystem that will create new business opportunities for the graphics and compute industry.
    Advertisements

Vulkan will set the foundation for graphics and compute APIs for years to come and so Khronos is taking the time needed to do this right – and the Vulkan 1.0 release is near!
    Khronos Group announced their Vulkan API few months ago that has been regarded as the successor to OpenGL. Vulkan aims to be bigger and better than what it once was. It is the only low level API that supports every single platform in existence. A big advantage of Vulkan over OpenGL is that it possesses a multi-core friendly architecture. Where OpenGL APIs did not allow a generation of graphic commands in parallel to command execution, Vulkan happily allows multiple command buffers in parallel. AMD who has put a lot of emphasis on Mantle API in the past may just leverage performance when the API hits the market since both share the same foundation and Vulkan has cross platform support (Windows 7/8/10, Linux, Android) along with Cross-Vendor support (NVIDIA, AMD, Intel, Qualcomm, Imagination Technologies, ARM, Samsung, Broadcom, Vivanate.

Even Valve has said the Vulkan is the right way forward as said by Valve’s San Ginsburg in his speech from SIGGRAPH 2015. Dan Ginsburg, who has taken care of porting the Source 2 engine to Vulkan, didn’t tiptoe around the elephant in the room, Microsoft’s DirectX 12. In fact, he openly said that Vulkan is the right way forward and there is not much reason to create a DX12 backend when developers can use Khronos Group’s API right away; here’s a transcription of the most relevant parts:
    Since hosting the first Vulkan face-to-face meeting last year, we’ve been really pleased with the progress of the API and we think it’s the right way forward for powering the next generation of high performance games.
    Here’s why we think Vulkan is the future. Unless you are aggressive enough to be shipping a DX12 game this year, I would argue that there is really not much reason to ever create a DX12 back end for your game. And the reason for that is that Vulkan will cover you on Windows 10 on the same class of hardware and so much more from all these other platforms and IHVs that we’ve heard from. Metal is single platform, single vendor, and Vulkan; we are gonna have support for not only Windows 10 but Windows 7, Windows 8, we’re gonna have it on Android and all of the IHVs are making great progress on drivers, I think we’re going to see super rapid adoption. If you’re developing a game for next generation APIs, I think it’s clear that Vulkan is the best choice and we’re very pleased with the progress and the state of the API. We think it’s gonna power the next generation of games for years to come.
    Moreover, we all know that Valve as a company has been trying to push OpenGL & Linux support in the last few years, in an effort to oppose Microsoft’s near monopoly on Windows; however, they haven’t had any real success so far and presently there is no reason to believe Vulkan will suddenly turn the tide. Of course, the battle for the leading next generation APIs between DirectX12, Metal and Vulkan has just begun, but we can see who’s already in pole position and it’s not Vulkan right now.
    Still, what gamers really care for is to get the promised performance boost and that can be achieved through constant driver optimization and robust use of the next generation APIs that are now available in the market. AMD will definitely try to enhance their graphics performance with Vulkan on the market and NVIDIA is already focusing to extend their established lead with the new APIs. Vulkan is a definite leap forward in the right direction as it offers developers deeper access to a specific hardware so that the program is not only optimized but provides a better experience to the end user.

Registo
    Nov 2013
    Local
    City 17
    Likes (Dados)
    Likes (Recebidos)
    Avaliação
    1 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vulkan, DX12's open-source competition, is on the 'home stretch'

The Khronos Groups's upcoming low-level graphics API is almost finished. Today they reported that they're on the "home stretch" when it comes to development and that we should see it in early 2016.

According to their blog post, the actual specification itself has been finished but they're putting on a few extra layers of polish and an extensive legal review to ensure that there are no holes. The SDK's that developers will have access to to make their games compatible are also almost done, but rely on the specification itself before they can be finished. In the end, we'll see SDK's for Windows, Linux and Android.

The successor to the aging OpenGL standard will finally be coming to us, months after DirectX 12 has already been released. The Khronos Group has said that "Vulkan will set the foundation for graphics and compute APIs for years to come and so Khronos is taking the time needed to do this right."

This slow start could temporarily slow the adoption of it, though Steam Machines might have an effect on how fast AAA games and developers use it. One developer in particular, Cloud Imperium Games, has expressed interest implementing Vulkan over DirectX 12 for it's openness and robustness.

Valve themselves have said that DirectX 12 doesn't make much sense, and you can watch Dota 2 running with Vulkan here, showing off some relatively massive battles.

Noticia:
    http://www.tweaktown.com/news/49132/...tch/index.html

Registo
    Nov 2013
    Local
    City 17
    Likes (Dados)
    Likes (Recebidos)
    Avaliação
    1 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vulkan limited to AMDGPU

It keeps using the word open source but...
    AMD seems to be having trouble understanding what open source means. It is saying that its forthcoming Vulkan driver will only work with the AMDGPU DRM kernel driver.

According to Phoronix this means that unless this AMDGPU kernel driver is extended to support pre-VI hardware, only the latest AMD GPUs on Linux will work with Khronos' next-generation API.
    There had been concerns whether AMD's Vulkan driver will work with the existing Radeon DRM driver or be limited to the AMDGPU driver. The AMDGPU driver supports the Radeon R9 285 "Tonga", R9 Fury "Fiji" series, Carrizo, etc.
    The coming AMDGPU-powered proprietary driver only works with the latest AMD GPUs, and the Vulkan Linux driver is also designed to work with only the same hardware. It's still unclear whether the "CIK" GPUs will see their experimental support enabled by default by the mainline driver which does not cover the HD 7000 series.
    AMD has officially stated that its Linux Vulkan drivers will only run on the amdgpu kernel driver and there were no plans, on Linux, to support Vulkan on any other driver stack.
    AMD hasn't said what GPUs under Windows they will support with Vulkan, but it is technically capable of supporting GPUs that have OpenGL ES 3.1 or OpenGL 4.X compatibility.
    However for Linux, it will just be for the new AMDGPU stack and for now limited to the Tonga, Fury, Carrizo and newer graphics cards.
    We had known that AMD's Vulkan Linux driver will be closed-source at first but it is starting to seem that it is getting more dependent on propriety code. If and when AMD open sources it, the community will have a bit of a job on its hands making play nice surrounded by such a proprietary environment.
    What it does mean is that OpenGL will be used by Linux gamers for a lot longer than many had thought when Vulkan was announced.
    Noticia:
    http://www.fudzilla.com/news/graphic...ited-to-amdgpu

Não era suposto esta API correr em todos os GPUs ?????

Master Business & GPU Man Avatar de Enzo
    Registo
    Jan 2015
    Local
    País Campeão Euro 2016
    Likes (Dados)
    Likes (Recebidos)
    Avaliação
    41 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Xiiiiii. Então, falavam da Nvidia, de ser necessário registo para drivers, e agora espalham-se com isto?
    Quais são os prós nisto?
    Ideias sem Nexo e Provas do Tráfico de Hardware
    "que personifica o destino, equilíbrio e vingança divina." Dejá vú. Que cena!

Registo
    Nov 2013
    Local
    City 17
    Likes (Dados)
    Likes (Recebidos)
    Avaliação
    1 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    NVIDIA Hosts Vulkan Developer’s Day

"The release of Vulkan, the new generation, open-standard API for high-efficiency access to graphics and compute on modern GPUs, is imminent", as dozens of top graphics developers descended on the NVIDIA Silicon Valley campus on Tuesday for the first ever Vulkan Developers Day. "Attendees were eager to get a head start on porting their applications to Vulkan, the new cross-platform, open-standard graphics and compute application programming interface from the Khronos Group."
    Note: The content of this HTL Newspost has been provided from NVIDIA.

Vulkan is the new generation, open-standard API for high-efficiency access to graphics and compute on modern GPUs. This ground-up design, previously referred to as the Next Generation OpenGL Initiative, gives applications explicit control over GPU acceleration for maximized performance and predictability. Vulkan eliminates expensive driver operations, which means less CPU overhead and no more unexpected frame rate hiccups.
    A key advantage of Vulkan over OpenGL is the ability to generate work for the GPU across many CPU threads, making Vulkan particularly useful for developers who find themselves CPU-bound, which can occur in diverse application domains, including games, computer-aided design and mobile apps.
    NVIDIA’s Neil Trevett is also president of the Khronos group, the consortium dedicated to creating open-standard APIs to enable the authoring and playback of rich media on a wide variety of platforms and devices. He hosted some of the top graphics developers from around the world at the first ever NVIDIA Vulkan Developer’s Day - held at the Silicon Valley campus on Tuesday.
    The developers day was a great way to kick off some very significant development works — and make sure the launch of Vulkan has more substance behind it than just paper specs.
    Noticia:
    http://www.hitechlegion.com/news-pre...eveloper-s-day

A nVidia está a apoiar e bem esta nova API, vamos a ver os desenvolvimentos que vão sair daqui.

Página 3 de 6 PrimeiroPrimeiro 12345 ... ÚltimoÚltimo

Informação da Thread