Likes (Recebidos)
    Avaliação
    1 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Microsoft Lumia 640

As We Eagerly Await A New Flagship, Microsoft Preps Yet Another Budget Lumia Smartphone

It appears as though Microsoft is getting ready to expand its Lumia line with the Lumia 640 (RM-1109), yet another affordable handset on the Windows Phone platform. There hasn't been an official announcement yet, but in lieu of that, Brazil's National Telecommunication Agency called Anatel recently approved the device in question.

Details are light, though the approval notice does reveal a few fun tidbits, such as that the Lumia 640 will support HSDPA+, offer Wi-Fi and Bluetooth 4.0 connectivity, and sport dual SIM cards. It will also support digital TV -- a feature that PhoneArena says is pretty popular in Brazil -- and come with a 2500 mAh battery.

The rest is speculative. We have a hunch it will launch with no more than 1GB of RAM -- as we pointed out a couple of months ago, the Windows Phone platform is littered with low memory handsets, some with as little as 512MB of RAM.

It will also be interesting to see what System-on-Chip (SoC) Microsoft runs with. Qualcomm recently confirmed that it would be powering Lumia smartphones in 2015 with its Snapdragon 810 processor, though that's a potent part typically reserved for high-end and flagship devices.

Finally, the timing of the release will likely determine whether the Lumia 640 gets outfitted with Windows 8.1 or Windows 10, the latter of which will run on devices with as little as 512MB of RAM, albeit with some features missing.

Noticia:
    http://hothardware.com/news/as-we-ea...e6AQsLW7SZF.99
    http://www.portugal-tech.pt/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=566&dateline=1384876765

Tech Ubër-Dominus Avatar de Jorge-Vieira
    Registo
    Nov 2013
    Local
    City 17
    Likes (Dados)
    Likes (Recebidos)
    Avaliação
    1 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Microsoft Lumia 640 Review

The group that was once Nokia's mobile division has gone through a great number of changes in the past few years. After declining sales of Symbian devices, the company decided to go all in with Microsoft's Windows Phone platform. In a very short time, Nokia became the number one vendor of Windows Phone smartphones in the world. Despite this, the move to Windows Phone failed to revitalize the company. In August of last year, Microsoft purchased Nokia's mobile devices business in a 7.2 billion dollar acquisition. Less than a month later, Microsoft launched the Nokia Lumia 830, and the Nokia Lumia 735. These were the last two Lumia smartphones that would be branded as Nokia devices. With Nokia's phone division absorbed into Microsoft, future Lumia devices would fall under the Microsoft brand.
    Today's review focuses on the Microsoft Lumia 640. This phone was announced alongside the Lumia 640 XL at MWC in February, and it's one of the first new Lumia devices released under the Microsoft brand. At $129, the Lumia 640 occupies a fairly low price point as far as smartphones are concerned, and it serves as an entry model to the Lumia smartphone line. To give a quick idea of what that $129 gets you in terms of hardware, I've organized the Lumia 640's specifications in the chart below.
    Microsoft Lumia 640
    SoC Qualcomm Snapdragon 400
    (MSM8926)
    4x ARM Cortex A7 at 1.2 GHz
    Adreno 305 at 450 MHz
    Memory and Storage 1GB LPDDR3 RAM, 8GB NAND + MicroSDXC
    Display 5.0" 1280x720 IPS LCD
    Cellular Connectivity 2G / 3G / 4G LTE (Qualcomm MDM9x25 UE Category 4 LTE)
    Dimensions 141.3 x 72.2 x 8.8 mm, 145g
    Cameras 8MP Rear Facing w/ 1.12 µm pixels, 1/4" CMOS size, F/2.2, 28mm (35mm effective)

0.9MP Front Facing, F/2.4, 30mm (35mm effective)
    Battery 2500 mAh (9.5Wh)
    Other Connectivity 802.11b/g/n + BT 4.0, GNSS, DLNA
    Operating System Windows Phone 8.1 + Lumia Denim
    SIM MicroSIM
    Price $129 on Cricket Wireless
    The Lumia 640's hardware is certainly above average in some areas. The first thing I noticed is that it ships with a 5" 1280x720 IPS display. This puts it significantly ahead of devices at the same price point which typically ship with qHD panels. 1280x720 devices show up closer to the $200 price bracket, and so the Lumia 640 is definitely ahead in this regard. The 1/4" 8MP camera is another spec that you wouldn't expect to see on a smartphone priced at around $100. While the camera sensor is hardly the only factor when it comes to final image quality, Lumia devices have traditionally had very good image processing, and so the Lumia 640's camera capabilities may end up far beyond those of the competition.
    All the other specifications are fairly typical for a phone of this price. 8GB of NAND, 1GB of RAM, and 2.4GHz 802.11n WiFi are all you get at this price. There is one thing that disappoints me, and that's the SoC. Snapdragon 400 is fairly old by this point, and has been replaced by Snapdragon 410 for some time now. While the Moto E review showed that Snapdragon 410 isn't an enormous leap over Snapdragon 400, it certainly helps, and I wish Microsoft had used the Lumia 640 as an opportunity to start shipping ARMv8 devices.
    Design

When the Lumia brand was originally introduced there were only two devices available. The first was the Lumia 710, and the second was the Lumia 800. I had always felt that the Lumia 710 was a fairly standard looking smartphone, but Lumia 800 had a unique type of industrial design. That design has since expanded with the introduction of models at different price points, and some of the physical characteristics that can be seen in the Lumia 640 are not the same as those in other Lumia devices like the Lumia 735.
    In a change from the order I typically follow when discussing the design of phones, the first part of the Lumia 640 I want to examine is actually the back cover. It’s a very solid feeling blue glossy plastic shell, although I would much prefer a matte finish, as the glossy plastic on this cover is already covered in scratches and smudges. The back cover has the Microsoft logo in the middle and in the case of this review unit a Cricket Wireless logo on the bottom. Next to the Cricket logo is a small hole to allow sound to pass through from the speaker underneath. Above the Microsoft logo is the 8MP rear-facing camera, and to the left of that is the LED flash.
    What I find notable about this back cover is that although it’s removable, it feels incredibly solid and holds onto the phone very tightly. To put things in perspective, I actually questioned whether or not the back cover was removable when I first received the phone. Because there was no visible SIM slot I had to go online and confirm to myself that Cricket Wireless is not a Verizon or Sprint sub-brand running on EvDO and that there had to be a SIM slot somewhere. Only after I did this was I confident enough to pry off the back cover from the top of the phone.
    The left side of the Lumia 640 is completely bare, while the right side has both the power button and the volume rocker. I was actually surprised at how good the buttons felt. The last two phones I reviewed were the Moto E and the ZenFone 2, and they also had removable frames or shells with some of their buttons attached to them. Compared to them, the buttons on the Lumia 640 have a much nicer tactile response, and a longer travel distance.
    One key difference between the Lumia 640 and some of Microsoft’s other Lumia devices is that it has flat sides and rounded corners. This contrasts with the traditional appearance of Lumia devices, which are flat on the top and bottom, but rounded on the left and right sides. The shape of those edges also meant that there was no way to have rounded corners even though the corners of the black face plate were rounded, which I felt created a unique appearance that made Lumia devices more distinct. The more standard flat edges and rounded corners of the Lumia 640 just aren’t as unique, and I wish it was more like a traditional Lumia phone.
    The top of the Lumia 640 has the 3.5mm audio jack, and the microUSB port is on the bottom. Something I noticed about my unit is that the actual port didn't line up perfectly with the hole that was cut in the plastic back shell of the phone. The hole was shifted slightly to the right, and the offset was just far enough to ensure that I could never get my charging cable to go in without jiggling the connector around until it found its way into the port. I assume that this is just a production mishap that is specific to my unit, but it's enough to cause a moment of frustration when trying to charge the phone or transfer files to it from a computer.
    There’s not a whole lot to see on the front of the Lumia 640. It’s dominated by the 5” display, with only a handful of things positioned on the bezels around it. You may notice that you can see the touch array when light shines on the phone in a certain way. This is common on many phones, but it's a bit more noticable on the Lumia 640 than other devices. The bezel at the bottom of the display has a microphone to be used during calls, while the top has the front-facing camera and the earpiece speaker. Microsoft has seen fit to also put their logo on the top bezel, just in case you missed the logo right in the middle of the back cover.
    My overall impression of the Lumia 640’s build quality and design is positive. While I’m not a fan of the glossy finish, the overall construction feels much more solid than any other phone at this price point that I’ve used.
    Toda a review:
    http://www.anandtech.com/show/9333/t...mia-640-review
    http://www.portugal-tech.pt/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=566&dateline=1384876765

Tech Mestre
    Registo
    Feb 2013
    Likes (Dados)
    Likes (Recebidos)
    Avaliação
    3 (100%)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Espero vir a comprar este terminal para a minha amiga colorida, ex namorada, namorada, whatever, já nem sei o que somos ou deixamos de ser. Muito superior ao trambolho do Xperia que ela tem. Bloqueia a toda a hora aquela "coisa". Android, what else?

Tech Ubër-Dominus Avatar de Jorge-Vieira
    Registo
    Nov 2013
    Local
    City 17
    Likes (Dados)
    Likes (Recebidos)
    Avaliação
    1 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    T-Mobile Pushes Windows 10 Mobile Upgrade To Lumia 640 Owners In Poland

Poland may be the perennial butt of jokes, but one thing is certain: its citizens are sometimes the very first to get fresh releases of operating systems. When LG starting rolling out Android 5.0 Lollipop and Android 6.0 Marshmallow to its smartphones, it first did so in Poland. Today, we’re learning that T-Mobile users in Poland are the first to to receive the over-the-air upgrade to the consumer version of Windows 10 Mobile.
    For now, the Windows 10 Mobile update is limited to Lumia 640 smartphones currently running Windows Phone 8.1 on T-Mobile’s wireless network. Lumia 640 customers are first seeing an update that upgrades the device firmware to version 02177.00000.15184.36002. Once that update has taken place, Windows 10 Mobile can begin beaming directly to your patiently waiting smartphone.

If you don’t see the update right away on your Lumia 640, you can hop over to Settings and select Check for Updates. If you still don’t see the Windows 10 Mobile update, don’t worry. T-Mobile says that it is sending out the update in waves, so you might just have to wait your turn to enjoy yummy Windows 10 Mobile goodness.
    The next likely country to receive Windows 10 Mobile is Germany, also courtesy of T-Mobile. The company announced last week the imminent release of Windows 10 Mobile for the following legacy smartphones:

• Nokia Lumia 930
    • Nokia Lumia 635
    • Nokia Lumia 830
    • Microsoft Lumia 535
    • Microsoft Lumia 640
    • Microsoft Lumia 640 XL

Microsoft originally planned to release Windows 10 Mobile to consumers in December, but ran into a few hiccups with regards to meeting that deadline. The company regrouped, stating that the the operating system would “begin rolling out early next year to select existing Windows 8 and 8.1 phones.”
    If this latest news from T-Mobile is and indication, it appears that Microsoft is back on track. Now, what about the Windows 10 Mobile upgrade for Lumia users running Windows Phone 8.1 in the United States…

Noticia:
    http://hothardware.com/news/t-mobile...zXoDQu4VRks.99

Informação da Thread