Avaliação
    1 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

O Linux faz anos

Linux is 24-Years-Old Today!

Today marks the 24th birthday of the Linux operating system, pioneered by Linus Torvalds and provided an open-source, community-based alternative to Microsoft Windows. Linux is Unix-powered and features customizable source code under the GNU General Public License. This means you can modify the source code for commercial or non-commercial purposes. Unlike Windows, Linux is released via distributions which contain varying UIs, and levels of complexity. For instance, Ubuntu was originally built on the Gnome interface and transferred to Unity. It’s suitable for basic users, as codecs and plugins can be easily installed without terminal knowledge.
    In contrast to this, Gentoo Linux minimal is created by the user from scratch using a command-line. Of course, this is only recommended for highly experienced Linux users but shows how adaptable the operating system is. In the wider picture, Linux only accounts for an estimated 1.5% market share. Why? People have grown up using Windows for so many years, and the small minority who try something else, buy an Apple device. Things could change in the near future though as Valve pushes their own gaming-centric version of Linux. Its success will greatly depend on how well Windows 10 does and if consumers can accept Microsoft’s privacy policy.
    I’ve dabbled with Linux in the past and believe it’s a fantastic operating system but lacks the core programs required for media work and games. Nevertheless, happy 24th birthday Mr. Tux!

Image courtesy of CentOS Blog
    Noticia:
    http://www.eteknix.com/linux-24-years-old-today/

Uma das melhores alternativas ao Windows, em diversos gostos e feitios, totalmente gratuita. Só é pena que ninguém ainda tenha dado o devido valor a este SO e o tenha colocado num patamar mais acima.
    Pode ser que dentro de pouco de tempo o Linux ganhe mais adeptos com o lançamento do SO da Valve e aí pode ser que os jogos comecem a puxar utilizadores e com isso também era bom que os jogos tivessem um lançamento identico em Windows e Linux.
    Espero que o Linux continue por cá muitos mais anos.
    http://www.portugal-tech.pt/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=566&dateline=1384876765

Tech Ubër-Dominus Avatar de Jorge-Vieira
    Registo
    Nov 2013
    Local
    City 17
    Likes (Dados)
    Likes (Recebidos)
    Avaliação
    1 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Linux will eventually be desktop king

Even if it takes another 25 years

Linux inventor Linus Torvalds has told the world that he has not given up on replacing Windows on the desktop with his glorious creation.

Linux, which is now 25 years old, has done well on the network and on mobiles, but has not ever become a serious threat to Windows. For many years some bright spark declares that this year will be the year of Linux on the desk-top but it never arrived. Lately such calls have been fewer, ironically as more PC's use Linux for gaming.
    Speaking from the Embedded Linux Conference, Torvalds said that Linux had not been a failure on the desktop.
    “The desktop hasn't really taken over the world like Linux has in many other areas, but just looking at my own use, my desktop looks so much better than I ever could have imagined,” he told the throngs.
    Despite the fact that he is known for sometimes not being very polite to some of the desktop UI people, he said he was happy with the Linux desktop.
    “To me, it's not a failure. I would obviously love for Linux to take over that world too, but it turns out it's a really hard area to enter. I'm still working on it. It's been 25 years. I can do this for another 25. I'll wear them down,” Torvalds said.
    Noticia:
    http://www.fudzilla.com/news/40409-l...e-desktop-king

Por muito bom que o Linux seja, e é, no panorama actual é dificil ou quase impossível tornar-se uma verdadeira alternativa ao Windows, muita coisa teria de mudar para a situação se inverter a favor do Linux e a unica coisa que pode inverter esta situação nos proximos tempos é a politica que a M$ está a querer implementar no Windows com a store e as Apps Universais e um eventual fechar do SO.
    Steam OS, para já também nem sombras dele, já deveria ter saído e nada.
    Com o domínio avassalador do Windows e sem uma real alternativa (que praticamente nunca teve), não sei se mais 25 anos serão sufucientes para inverter a situação ou pelo menos equilibrar a favor do Linux, isto quando se sabe que este meio é muito volatil e de um momento para o outro ou num curto espaço de tempo as coisas podem inverter.
    http://www.portugal-tech.pt/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=566&dateline=1384876765

Informação da Thread